This exceptionally life-like figure is carved from linden wood and once decorated a church or cathedral. The figure stands authoritatively, with right arm raised and index finger extended toward heaven. According to Christian iconography commonly used in paintings and sculpture, this gesture signifies that salvation comes through baptism. The figure wears a girdle of animal fir, probably from a bear, and makes symbolic reference to John the Baptist's life in the wilderness of Judea, between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. The elegantly carved robe is a baroque element that adds a sense of motion and energy to the artwork. Originally, the sculpture was polychromed, but the original pigments have weathered away and been replaced with whitewash. Repairs, losses, and insect damage are minor and expected due to great age.
- Origin | France
- Dimensions | 28"W x 24"D x 61.5"H
- Age | 18th Century
- Material | Linden Wood
- ID | 22E01001
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.