Newly carved from reclaimed teak, this large bust takes the form of an apsara. With origins in both Hindu and Buddhist mythology, Apsaras are female spirits of the clouds and waters. They are also referred to as "celestial dancers". Carved likenesses of these Goddesses are found in temples throughout Cambodia, Indonesia, Thailand and other Theravada Buddhist countries. The teak used in this carving was sourced from an old rice pounder. Now abandoned in favor of modern rice mills, wooden mortars had thick walls and large upturned pounding bowls hollowed out from an entire section of a teak tree. One pounder might supply wood for several carvings. The carvers favor this seasoned teak because of its rare combination of strength and softness -it is the perfect wood for delicate subjects like faces and hands. It also repels both insects and moisture. Traditional carving still survives in the north of Thailand, in and around Chiang Mai. This Apsara has a tall multi-tiered crown featuring and Bayon-style face. It is suitable for inside or outside display.
- Origin | Thailand
- Dimensions | 14"W x 9"D x 42"H
- Age | Newly Made
- Material | Teak
- ID | 23T01006
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.