This book cabinet was made from solid teak wood and dates to the early 1900's. During the British Empire in India and Burma much furniture was made in the Anglo-Indian style using native hardwoods and native craftsmen. Since teak wood is naturally resistant to insects and moisture, a surprisingly large amount of it has survived, especially in Myanmar (formerly Burma). This piece has been lightly restored, with some added surface stain and a waxed finish.
Teak was favored for British Colonial bookcases in part due to the fact that it was ideal for protecting paper documents and books from voracious tropical insects. The delicate scent of teak is noxious to insects and it would gradually build up behind glass, protecting the contents inside. After independence in 1948, many bookcases continued to be used in government offices, shops and private homes. Many are still in use, some coming on the market each year. In modern homes they are ideal for books, display of artifacts and curios and in kitchens. For an additional charge, subtle LED lighting can be added.
- Origin | Burma
- Dimensions | 36"W x 16"D x 73"H
- Age | C.1900
- Material | Teak
- ID | 23T01154
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.