Two impressive Mbole people hammered copper currency pieces, mounted on custom black metal stands, mid to late 20th century, Democratic Republic of the Congo. The compressed spherical shape with a wedge cut out, and large hole in the center, is typical of Mbole currency pieces. The surface of the currency has a wonderful texture and patina. The hammered surface bearing dimples and scratches from manufacture, use, and general handling. The complex patina is overall a deep copper brown, with lighter copper highlights dotting the surface. While many Mbole currency pieces were status symbols meant to be worn around the ankles, this this piece was most likely made in response to the West's fascination with the form, and not used in a tribal context. Mounted on a custom black metal base.
Large: 11.5"W x 7"D x 17"H
Small: 8"W x 4.5"D x 13.5"H
- Origin | Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Age | Mid - Late 20th Century
- Material | Copper
- ID | 23M02015
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.