A finely carved wooden sculpture of a Buddhist angel in the Northern Thai style. It is covered in natural lacquer, gold leaf, polychrome, and glass mirror "jewels" embedded in the surface. Teak provides a durable foundation as it is impervious to insects and resistant to moisture. Some yellow-gold paint is also present in the topmost layer, indicating that the piece was carefully maintained over a long period of time. The chalky paint on the face was also renewed periodically as an act of devotion. Angels were a favorite subject of Thai sculptors because they were given a lot of freedom in depicting them. This angel has an expression of benign intelligence and the hands are particularly well-formed. Given its seated position, it was likely to have been part of a larger altar ensemble, including larger and more prominent Buddha images.
- Origin | Thailand
- Dimensions | 14"W x 23"D x 26.5"H
- Age | 19th Century
- Material | Teak Wood & Lacquer
- ID | RHS001
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.