This solid teak bookcase was made in a sleek, modern style in Rangoon, Burma, near the very end of the British Empire. We call these pieces by different names; "mid-century", art moderne" or just "modern style" but they all refer to the superb solid wood furniture that was made from the 1930's to the 1960's in (now former) British colonies in Asia. The handles suggest a mid-century date and the crown suggests Art Deco.
During the British Empire in India and Burma (also known as the British Raj) much furniture was made in the British style, substituting far superior native hardwoods like teak and rosewood for European ones. Teak had the added benefit of repelling insects and moisture, so it was very good for storage cabinets. For protection of books and documents, it was ideal as subtle teak scent drove away moths as well as termites. Rattan was substituted for cloth upholstery, which grew moldy in the tropical humidity.
After independence many bookcases became mercantile cabinets, ideal for displaying imported boxed goods and keeping the packaging free of dust.
This piece has been lovingly restored. All drawers and doors operate smoothly and handles have been cleaned. The piece has been re-stained and waxed and is ready for many more years of use.
- Origin | Thailand
- Dimensions | 95.5"W x 24"D x 90"H
- Age | C.1950
- Material | Teak
- ID | 22T02090
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.