This late-19th Century Japanese Tansu chest was used to store clothing and other personal effects in a traditional Japanese home. Because Japanese homes were (and are) relatively small, furniture was also relatively small. Rooms were used for multiple purposes, so furniture needed to be lightweight and portable. Accordingly, storage chests were lightweight and had handles for receiving carrying poles. The distinctive iron corner hardware provided structural stiffness and also served a decorative purpose. The handles are unusually beautiful and made from hand-forged iron. Locking hardware medallions are circular, providing a dramatic contrast with the simple rectangular outline of the chest. This Tansu is made up of two stacked chests of drawers. The chests have a natural patina and can be waxed or stained according to the buyer's wishes. The two sets of drawers can be separated, placed on stands and used as bedside chests.
- Origin | Japan
- Dimensions | 34.5"W x 17.5"D x 40"H
- Age | c. 1900
- Material | Kiri wood
- ID | 23T01048
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.