This is a superb example of a 19th Century Japanese Tansu chest. Made in just one large section, the chest was used to store clothing and other personal effects in a traditional home. Because Japanese homes were (and are) relatively small, furniture was also relatively small. Rooms were used for multiple purposes and furniture needed to be lightweight and portable. Accordingly, storage chests had handles for receiving carrying poles. The distinctive iron corner hardware provided structural stiffness and served a decorative function. The richly filigreed lock plates and curved handles are all hand-forged from iron. The outer case has remnants of oxblood lacquer; the drawer faces have been scrubbed and cleaned.
- Origin | Japan
- Dimensions | 45.5"W x 17.5"D x 36.5"H
- Age | c. 1880
- Material | Kiri wood
- ID | 23T01050
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.