This unique storage vessel was made from a single trunk of Saal wood and fitted with a cover to protect the contents (probably rice grains) from insects and moisture. This kind of monumental implement is unique to Nagaland, a semi-autonomous state located in the extreme northeast of India and south of the Himalayan plateau. The area is very rainy and densely forested. Naga tribesmen were totally isolated from trade and learned to make everything they needed from whatever they could find locally. (Their being passionate head-hunters may have also reduced their trading partners.) Their houses, meeting halls, granaries, tools, food containers and dishes were all made from single pieces of hand-carved wood. The Naga disdained joinery. Accordingly, every piece they made is a unique sculpture. This rice container was probably found inside a home, protected from rain. The faceted exterior skin of the piece is extraordinary; the interior is smooth. Naga vessels blend beautifully with stark contemporary designs. This one could make a very special planter.
- Origin | India
- Dimensions | 33.5"W x 29"D x 42"H
- Age | C.1900
- Material | Saal
- ID | 23T01132
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.