Still one of the world's most isolated societies, the The Naga of mountianous northeastern India are talented artisans that create everything they need from the natural resources of their native land. They are particularly adept at carving wood, which they have a lot of. This carved wooden totem depicts six Mithun buffalo heads. Though abstract, it embodies the characteristics of the bull: wide horns, long ears, a flat forehead and short snout. This piece is outfitted with a custom metal stand. Totems were often placed in front of a Naga village's most important structure, the morung hall, a dormitory for young men. It serves as a critical institution dedicated to educating the village's adolescent boys as they transition into adulthood (and become warriors). Every three years a new group is inducted each of which requires new carvings, which are placed at the entrance of the hall. The ornamentation on each totem represents the group's successes. The mithun bull silhouette symbolizes wealth.
- Origin | Nagaland, India
- Dimensions | 32.25"W x 20"D x 104"H
- Age | c.1900
- Material | Saal Wood
- ID | 22T01139
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.