Newly carved from reclaimed teak, this monumental sculpture takes the form of a Cambodian apsara of the Bayon style (12th Century.) With origins in Hindu and Buddhist mythology, apsaras are female spirits of the clouds and waters. Sublime likenesses of these Goddesses are found in temples throughout Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Thailand and other Theravada Buddhist countries. The teak used in this carving came from an old rice pounder. Now obsolete, wooden rice pounders were made from a cross-section of a teak tree, partly buried in the ground, with its exposed end hollowed out into a shallow bowl. After decades of use, the bowl would become too deep and the pounder would be abandoned. Today one pounder can supply wood for several carvings and the irregularity of the wood makes each carving unique. The carvers favor teak because of its rare combination of strength and relative softness -it is perfect for delicate subjects like facial expressions. Teak also repels insects (and moisture) and can be safely placed outside. This type of wood carving survives in the north of Thailand, in and around Chiang Mai.
- Origin | Thailand
- Dimensions | 19"W x 9"D x 62"H
- Age | Newly Made
- Material | Teak
- ID | 23T01019
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.