This pair of rectangular "thinking stools" stools formed part of the standard furniture of a scholar's study. Crafted from northern elm and protected with several coats of hand-applied oxblood lacquer, the stools are elegantly appointed with hoof feet and refined Ming-form ladder aprons. The first raised stools were introduced to China in the second century A.D., when the Han emperor adopted the “barbarian” way of seating. The fashion became accepted, and within a few hundred years stools as well as chairs had become common among the elite. Japan and Korea, which were highly influenced by Chinese practices retained their preference for floor seating. Despite their great age, these stools are very sturdy and ready for modern use. They are simple enough to blend with contemporary interior design.
- Origin | Shanxi , China
- Dimensions | 16"W x 13"D x 19.5"H
- Age | Middle Qing
- Material | Elm
- ID | 23T01040
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.