This carving depicts individuals contorted in various positions, forming a circular enclosure. The entire piece is unpainted and carved from a single piece of dark wood, some of which has lightened due to exposure. This piece may represent ancestral figures in abstract form. Ancestral worship is highly important in Asmat culture, as the spirits of ancestors are believed to actively participate in the mortal world. Carvings such as this are often produced to commemorate ancestors or to call upon their mystic powers in situations such as funeral rites. After the primary function of carvings has been fulfilled, they are often discarded in the rainforests so the ancestor spirits may rejuvenate the trees. The piece probably dates to the 1970’s
- Origin | Papua New Guinea
- Dimensions | 11"W x 10"D x 41.5"H
- Age | 1970's
- Material | Hard wood
- ID | 23M02010
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.