Each boldly and dramatically modelled standing on the belly and head of a recumbent boar all on a rocky base, one with an arm raised and facing to the right, the other with clenched fists and facing forward, both wearing an elaborate phoenix-like head-piece and full armor with dragon shoulder-masks and elaborate winged collars, traces of red, orange and black pigment remaining, minor restoration. Lokapala are usually found in pairs and their supernatural powers symbolized by spiky flanges and flames. A guardian is intended to terrify and this he does by the ferocity of his facial expression, by the bulging muscularity of his body, and above all by a tense, poised swiftness conveyed by the pose and by the swirl of drapery around the shoulders. They were thought to protect the tomb from the living and the living from the spirits of the dead. This pair dates to the Tang Dynasty (618-907 CE) and was unearthed near the old Tang capitol of Xian, in modern-day Shaanxi province. TL tested.
- Origin | China
- Dimensions | 10"W x 6"D x 22.5"H
- Age | 618 - 907CE
- Material | Terracotta
- ID | RHS020
Need Assistance? Call 312.755.1266
- Will be shipped with a White Glove Delivery company. The Golden Triangle will assist in setting up delivery. Items typically arrives within 2-3 weeks.
- UPS Ground Delivery. Arrives in 5-7 business days.
- Call us at 312.755.1266 to arrange a time and date for pick-up.
- If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 312.755.1266. We offer a 3-day return after receiving an item. All sale and discounted items are final sale and not returnable.
- Items must be returned in the condition received. The Golden Triangle reserves the right to refuse the return of damaged pieces.
See our full shipping & return policy here or contact us at 312-755-1266 or email@example.com with any questions you may have!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.